I finally managed to make pizza base from scratch at home. Mostly because i figured we had all the toppings that we would love to bite into if I made one. I tried a part whole wheat and part all purpose flour base. Ratio being 50:50
These measurements result in 2 large sized pizzas
- 3 cups all purpose flour or maida
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 450 ml water (approximately 2 and quarter cups)
- 1.5 tspoon instant yeast
- 1 tspoon salt
- 1/2 tspoon sugar
- 6 tspoon oil plus 1 tspoon to smear on the dough
Toppings: Your preference
I have used tomato ketchup, Salami chicken, corn, capsicum, red papprica, jalapenos, black olives and cheese
- Take 1 cup lukewarm water. Add yeast, salt and sugar to it. Leave aside for 10 mins till it froths
- Mix the flour with this year mixture and oil. Knead well. Add the remaining water also and knead for 10 mins till the dough becomes soft.
- Now smear the oil over the dough. Cover with a clean kitchen cloth and leave aside for 1 hour
- The dough rises and doubles in volume
- Now punch the air out of the dough .
- Knead lightly again . Cover with kitchen cloth and leave aside for 30 mins. The dough will rise again
- Now spread the dough in a pan. Brush the edges with minimal oil
- Spread either pizza sauce or tomato ketchup on the base using a spoon
- Above that line up and arrange all your toppings
- Next spread some grated cheese. Quantity of cheese is purely a personal choice 😊
- Now bake the pizza at 180 for 30 minutes
- I finished it off on the stove by heating the pizza on a tawa for 2 mins after it was baked. This made the base more crisp.