This is a traditional recipe from Kerala. We have a good number of jackfruit seeds that were bought from Alleppey and I’m kicked about trying different ways to cook them.
The following recipe is probably the easiest one using chakkakuru.
Jackfruit seeds : 250gms
Garlic cloves :10 to 12
Mustard : 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder : 1 teaspoon
Chilli powder : 2 teaspoons
Salt : 1 teaspoon
Oil : 2 tablespoon
1. Clean the chakkakuru thoroughly. first peel the outer light colored skin. Then scrape off the dark brown skin from the seed. Soak in water for ease of scraping. Wash, slice into long pieces and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard.
3. Once the mustard splutters, add the sliced jackfruit seeds and stir for 5 minutes
4. Now add the turmeric pwdr and chilli pwdr. Mix well
5. Add 2 cups of water and cook till water evaporates. The seeds are cooked through in about 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot with steamed rice ☺