My early memories of the Onam festival consist of Amma taking days off from work to make all possible delicacies from unniappam to kozhalappam to achappam to parippu vada and so on.This is my mother’s recipe for unniappam.
The below recipe yields 15 unniappams.
- Rice powder – 1.5 cups
- Jaggery – 100 GMs
- Banana – 1 no if medium sized, 2 no.s if small
- Cooking Soda – 1/4 teaspoon
- Coconut / Copra pieces ( optional)
- Water to adjust consistency of batter
- Firstly, melt the jaggery in a cup of water on a low flame until it dissolves completely. Keep aside
- Mash the banana in a mixer and keep aside
- Deep fry the coconut pieces in oil. Keep aside
- Mix the rice powder, cooking soda, coconut pieces and mashed banana in a bowl
- Add the melted jaggery to this . mix well to remove lumps
- Batter should not be too runny or too thick
- Heat oil in the unniappam pan. Be generous with the oil quantity
- Pour spoonfuls of it in the pan. Cook on low flame till both sides are nicely browned