1 small raw jackfruit
1 cup grated coconut
1/2 tspoon cumin seeds
1 tspoon turmeric powder
2 big green chillies (or 1 tspoon chilli powder)
1 inch piece fresh ginger
Oil , mustard , red chilly and curry leaves for tempering
Salt as per taste
- Peel the jackfruit carefully. Cut the inner raw fruit into pieces.
- Cook it till the fruit is just cooked. Do not make it too mushy.
- There are 2 ways to cook : either on stove top or in pressure cooker. Stove top may take atleast 30 minutes. Pressure cooking may take only 2 whistles.
- After cooking, you may optionally grind the fruit in a mixer to shred it. I usually to not grind it, i just crush it with a ladle since i like biting into the jackfruit chunks.
- Once the jackfruit is ready, add oil mustard , red chilly and curry leaves in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, put the cooked jackfruit in it and stir well so that they combine.
- Now grind the grated coconut with shallots, green chillies, ginger, turmeric and cumin seeds.
- Add the coconut mixture into the pan and mix well with the jackfruit.
- Add salt and mix well again.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and then server hot.