I have been wanting to make jam for some time now. We love orange jam so i decided to make a start with oranges.
This is a simple recipe with less sugar. You may want to add more sugar if you want store bought sweetness in your jam.
The sweet/sour taste of this jam works for us so i have added just 1 cup of sugar.
Also, this jam needs to be stored in the refrigerator for use.
1 cup sugar
1/2 a lemon
- Peel the oranges. Use a knife and remove the seeds. Also remove as much of the white thready material (pith) as possible.
- Juice the oranges in a mixer.
- In a deep bottomed pan, boil the orange juice till it reduces to almost half its orginal quantity.
- Now add the sugar and boil till the colour darkens and the consistency becomes slightly thicker. (The whole boiling process took around 30 minutes for me.)
- Now turn off the flame. Add the juice from the half lemon. Stir well.Cool and store in jars. The jam thickens some more after it is removed from the flame.
- Store in refrigerator to use for a longer time.