Chanced upon these beautiful lotus roots during a routine grocery shopping . Went through many recipes on the net because i had no idea how to cook these. Finally, i just came up with my own recipe and got started with them. The lotus root has a crunchy texture crunchy even after shallow frying in oil. I love the fact that it doesn’t get soggy.
This is how they look
- 2 lotus roots
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 small onions
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 tspoon turmeric pwder
- 1 tspoon chilli pwdr
- 1/2 tspoon garam masala
- oil and mustard
- salt as per taste
- 1 tspoon vinegar
- Peel and wash the roots
- Chop into thin circular discs
- Add a tspoon of vinegar to water in a bowl. Add the chopped pieces into this bowl of water. This prevents the pieces from getting black.
- After chopping up both the roots, drain the water. Add a little salt, turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala to the pieces. Mix well. Keep aside.
- Now, in another pan, add the chopped onions, tomatos, peas and the remaining turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala and salt to it. Cook for 6-8 mins. Peas masala is ready.
- Now shallow fry the lotus root pieces in a pan with oil.
- Mix the fried lotus root pieces with peas masala and serve hot with rice/roti.