If you are bored of the usual fish fry and want to try something else for a fish side dish, then this recipe is a must try.
I have used Red Snapper (known as Chemballi in Malayalam) in this recipe but any other fish can be used. I have tried tuna as well and it works very well for this recipe.
- 1/2 kg fish : cut into 1 inch cubes (boneless is a plus, but i used red snapper which had bones)
- 2 medium sized onions : cut julienne
- 1 capsicum : cut julienne
- 1 tspoon diced ginger and garlic
- 1 tbspoon soya sauce
- 1 tbspoon chilli sauce
- 1 tbspoon tomato sauce
To make batter to coat the fish :
- 2 tbspoon cornflour
- 1 tbspoon all purpose flour
- ginger garlic paste
- pepper powder
- Clean the fish. Keep aside. (For better taste, marinate the fish pieces with spices overnight and refrigerate or marinate for a few hours)
- Mix the cornflour, all purpose flour, ginger garlic paste, pepper and salt in a bowl. Add water and make a thick batter.
- Now add the cleaned fish cubes . Coat them with salt and pepper and add them into this batter. Coat the fish evenly with the batter. Keep aside for 10 to 15 mins.
- Shallow fry these fish pieces in a pan until golden brown. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the diced ginger-garlic and onions. Cook until the onion turns translucent.
- Now add the diced capsicum. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Next add the chilli sauce, soya sauce and tomato sauce. Mix well.
- Add the fried fish pieces into this pan and mix gently.
- Serve hot with rice 🙂