Urad dal : 250 gms
Onion – 1 cup finely chopped
Coriander leaves – 1 cup finely chopped
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Pepper powder : Crushed pepper pods – 1 tsp
Salt : As per taste
Oil to deep fry
- Urad dal needs to be soaked overnite
- Was the Urad dal, blend in a mixer till it is a coarse paste. Dont blend for too long. The paste should not become overly smooth.
- Mix the Urad dal paste/batter with all other ingredients mentioned above in a bowl. Mix well while beating the batter lightly with your fingers to aerate the batter.
- Check the consistency of the final batter by rolling a bit of batter into your fingers and dropping it into a another bowl full of water. The ball of batter should float in the bowl. This is a sigh that the batter is well aerated. If it is too thick, the batter will sink in the water and the vada will turn out hard .
- Now make doughnuts out of the batter and deep fry in hot oil till golden brown.
- Serve hot with chutney and sambar…slurp!