Tasty gravy that goes with rice. The only time consuming bit is roasting , cooling and grinding the grated coconut. Simple ingredients, simple procedure.
- 250 grams peeled shallots
- half a coconut grated
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tbspoon chilli powder
- 1 tbspoon coriander powder
- salt as per taste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- tamarind pulp (lemon sized) soaked in water
- Roast the grated coconut in 1/2 teaspoon oil till it turns brown and is rid of all moisture.
- Now add turmeric pwdr, chilli pwdr and coriander pwdr to it. Stir for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Keep this aside so that it cools down.
- Extract the tamarind juice from the pulp and keep this also aside.
- Next, take 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. add mustard, curry leaves and red chilli to it.
- Once the mustard starts spluttering, slit the shallots into 2 and add them into the pan. Fry till they turn brown.
- Now add the tamarind extract and boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grind the fried coconut mixture with as 1/2 a cup of water into a smooth paste. Grind this mixture well because if it is not a smooth paste, it doesnt mix well to form a uniform gravy.
- Add this coconut paste into the pan. Add salt. Stir well and bring it to a boil. Then turn off the heat. Serve hot with plain steamed rice.