This is a very simple dish. Tastes great with rice. Its something i make as a quick side dish for rice when i pack lunch for work. Brinjal is not a favourite among too many people, but i love the vegetable 🙂
This recipe is an adaptation of the Bengali dish Begun Bhaja.
1 brinjal ( can be either the indian species which is small and round or the Japanese variety which is elongated and not too slender)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon chilli powder
1/2 tablespoon garam masala
1/2 tablespoon salt
- Slice the brinjal into thin round discs
- Mix the spices listed above with the salt, a teaspoon of oil and a tablepoon of water to make a thick paste
- Rub the spice mixture onto the brinjal discs.
- Keep aside for 10-15 minutes (This is optional)
- Now shallow fry with oil on a frying pan until it the discs turn soft. Frying needs to be done on a low flame consistently.