My previous post on Bilimbi squash talks more about the fruit . Making wine out of this fruit is a very common practice in Kerala. Thanks to my MIL for this recipe.
- 1 kg Bilimbi (Irumban Puli)
- 3/4 kg sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat or broken wheat
- Boiled and cooled water enough to submerge the bilimbi
- First and foremost, we will need a ceramic jar or bharani to store the ingredients.
- Add the raw bilimbi and sugar in layers into the bharani.
- Add the whole wheat or broken wheat into the bharani and pour the boiled and cooled water into the same.
- Gently stir with a spatula and then leave the bharani covered.
- This set up should be left alone for a minimum of 21 days and maximum of 30 days. After which we need to strain the juice (which is now wine) and store it separately.
- The older the stored wine, the more the aroma and acidity.