Meen mulakittathu or chilli fish curry is an easy replacement for the otherwise elaborate fish curry (see here : Kerala style fish curry). There are again different versions of this curry, i have put down my version. It goes best with hot steamed rice.
I have used Sardines (matthi), as i have said before my husband loves Sardines and we use it quite often 🙂 . You can substitute it with any other fish.
1/2 kg Sardines ( use any fish of your choice)
1 tablespoon diced ginger
1 tablespoon diced garlic
2 sprigs curry leaves
2-3 kodampuli (Garcinia gummi-gutt)
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon red chilli powder (i have used Kashmiri chilli powder for more colour, for more spice use the regular chilli powder)
Salt as per taste
- Soak the kodampuli in half a cup of water and keep it aside
- Mix the turmeric powder, red chilli powder with water and make a uniform paste. Keep it aside.
- Add oil to a pan and add the fenugreek seeds to it. Roast for a minute.
- Now add the curry leaves and shallots to it. Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes. The shallots turn transparent.add the ginger and garlic too.
- Now add the turmeric/chilli mix. Stir well till the masala is properly cooked and gives out a beautiful aroma.
- Now add the kodampuli along with the water it was soaked it. Mix well. Add salt as well.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring the whole mixture to a boil.
- Now add the cleaned and cut fish pieces to this. Close the lid of the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice!