Koorka or chinese potato is not commonly used in most households. It is frequently used in the kitchens of Malayalis though. It is a tuber. For more info on Koorka refer : Koorka
Ingredients : Serves 4
- 1/2 kg Koorka
- 2 onions diced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric pwdr
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- Oil for tempering
- Clean the koorka thoroughly. This is quite a cumbersome procedure and takes time. Wash it thorughly under running water 4-5 times. This helps in washing off the mud. Some people put the koorka in a sack prior to washing and thrash it gently so that the mud and dry skin peel off.
- After cleaning , cut it into small pieces.
- Cook in hot water for 15 minutes with turmeric and chilli powder.
- Now, prepare the tempering by adding mustard and curry leaves to hot oil. Add the cooked koorka pieces and stir well.
- Serve hot as side dish with rice.