Meen Peera is most commonly made with Anchovies. Also called Netholi or Kozhuva in Malayalam. But we can also use other fish to substitute it. The husband is extremely fond of Mathi (Sardines). So every visit to my mum’s place ends up with her packing some marinated Mathi which enables me to dish up some variants in my kitchen. In this recipe i have used Sardines to make the Peera.
Ingredients : (Serves 2)
Sardines (Mathi) : 250 gms
Grated coconut : 1 cup
Green chillies : 4
Shallots : 8-10
Ginger : 1 small piece
Garlic : 3-4 cloves
Curry leaves : 1 stem
kudampuli (Garcinia gummi-gutta) : 2
Turmeric : 1/2 teaspoon
Salt : As per taste
- Add the kudampuli to a cup of hot water and keep it aside.
- Add the shallots, ginger, garlic, chillies to a mixer and grind for exactly 3 seconds, not more than that. You get a very coarse paste of the ingredients.
- Add this to the grated coconut along with turmeric and mix well. To this add the kudampuli pices and mix again
- In a pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and the curry leaves to it. Now add the coconut mixture to this and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add the fish pieces and the water in which the kudampuli was soaked . Close the lid of the pan and cook for 10 minutes. Alternately, you can add cooked fish to this mixture. To do this , just add the fish pieces to some water with a pinch of turmeric and chilli powder. Cook for 5 minutes. Then transfer the cooked fish pieces to the pan in which the coconut is being sauted.
- Add salt as per taste and mix well.