I was first introduced to Guliappa in college. A dear friend brought this for lunch regularly back then and no prizes for guessing who emptied her lunch box in no time. This is a great breakfast recipe to break the idli-dosa monotony. It can also be a great snack.
Ingredients : (Serves 2 )
Idli/Dosa batter : 2 cups
Green chillies chopped : 2
Onions chopped : 1
Coriander leaves chopped : 3-4 sprigs
Salt as per taste
Optional Ingredients :
Small pieces of cocunut
Fried urad dal
Kitchen Equipment : Unni appam Pan ( I highly recommend buying this. Can be used to make a variety of fritters)
- Saute the chilies, onion in oil till the onion turns translucent
- Mix the chillies, onion, coriander and salt with the dosa/idli batter
- Oil the unni appam pan (half a teaspoon in each cavity) and pour the batter into the cavities.
- Turn the guliappa over when the under side is cooked. The batter will still be runny but the moment it is turned over it will harden.
- Serve with chutney of your choice. Goes well with Cocunut Chutney.